There's still a little winter left, or a lot depending where you live. A classic guy hat to make now or for Fall '07.
• Work on 4 double point needles OR 16” circular needle (changing to double points after decreasing makes hat too small for circular needle).
• When weaving in yarn ends, weave into like colors.
• Gauge swatch is measured with rib stitch relaxed, not stretched.
• This hat pattern will work equally as well in a solid color or variegated color (eliminate
For 22” to 23" Circumference
8 1/2” Height
• One size 10 1/2 or 6 1/2 mm 16” circular ndl and one set same size double point ndls
• 1 3.5 oz/100 g (109yds/100m) ball of Crystal Palace Iceland (I used #3433 Bark), 100% wool, for main color (MC) and a few yards each of 2 contrasting colors in same yarn or similar weight yarn (CC-A) and CC-B)
Weight Category 5, Bulky
• Yarn needle
• Stitch Markers
16 sts and 18 rows in k2 p2 rib equal 4”/10cm
With MC and size 10 1/2/6 1/2 mm dpns or 16” circ ndl, co 72 sts. Place marker to indicate beg of rnds.
Rnd 1: Work 8 rnds Rib Pattern as foll, *k 2, p 2, rep from * to end of rnd.
Begin Stripe Pattern:
Rnd 9: Change to CC-A and work in established rib pattern.
Rnd 10: Change back to MC and work in established rib pattern.
Rnds 11 & 12: Change back to CC-A and work in established rib pattern for 2 rnds.
Rnd 13: Change back to MC and work in established rib pattern.
Rnd 14: Change to CC-B and work in established rib pattern.
Rnd 15 & 16: Change back to MC and work in established rib pattern for 2 rnds.
Rnd 17: Change to CC-A and work in established rib pattern.
Rnds 18 to 25: Change back to MC and work rib apt.
Beg Hat Crown Shaping
Use st markers to keep track of decs.
Rnd 26: *K 2, p2tog, k 2, p 2, rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnds 27 to 29: *K 2, p 1, k 2, p 2, rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 30: *K 2, p 1, k 2, p2tog, rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnds 31 to 33 : *K 2, p 1, rep to end of rnd.
Rnd 34: *Ssk, p 1, k2tog, p 1, rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 35: *K 1, p 1, rep from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 36: *Ssk, rep from * to end of rnd, 18 sts remain.
Rnd 37: K 18.
Cut yarn leaving about 16” for finishing.
Using yarn needle, thread yarn tail through remaining xx sts, pull gently to close hole at top. Secure yarn end to inside of hat. (Tip: I like to thread yarn through stitches 2 times for strength.)
Weave in ends from stripes.
#1 Solid Cuff Cap
Work above pattern omitting stripes. Looks great solid and “cuffed” up.
#2 Ski Cap
Work above pattern and finish off with a big pom pom made of the contrast colors. OR, get creative and finish off the top with I-cord loops or other whimsical embellishments!
All rights reserved. One copy for personal use only. Not for manufacture, resale, or any type of reprint except with permission of author.